Iconic event set to go
By Roger Childs
At 9.00am on Sunday, in keeping with tradition, piper Annette Wardel will lead the first wave of swimmers north along Raumati Beach, to get the 2014 Kapiti Women’s Triathlon (KWT) under way.
When it started back in 1983, all participants did the full triathlon. In this year’s event there are seven options from fun run/walk to the full swim/bike/run deal. Furthermore teams can do any of the events.
There is a big field for Sunday. According to Evelyn: We are at 560 without late entries, up around 50 from last year at this stage.
The registration arrangements for participants are
- Saturday 1 March from 2-3pm: Registration & event pack pick up at Raumati Swim Club Clubrooms, behind Raumati Pool, located in Marine Gardens. (There is also access off Garden Road.)
- Sunday 2 March: 7.30- 8.30am for registration and event pack pick up, if you couldn’t make it on Saturday.
Getting round the district
It’s a great event to watch as participants traverse much of the Raumati Beach – Paraparaumu Beach area and venture inland towards to Coastlands.
- Swim 400m at Raumati Beach
- Bike 12km from Raumati Beach to the northern end of Manly Street and back
- Run 4km from Raumati Beach out and back on tracks along the Wharemauku Stream.
All the events finish at Marine Gardens, Raumati Beach. And a lavish prize giving concludes the proceedings.
The event is, in Mao Zedong’s words, participation first, competition second. It is inspiring to see women and girls of all ages, shapes, sizes, speeds and levels of fitness giving it a go and finishing with huge smiles on their faces.
It’s a great spectacle and participants fully appreciate the support and encouragement of spectators.
KIN wishes all participants the very best for the event. Kia kaha!