Chance to bike in Queen Elizabeth Park
By Jan Nisbet
On Sunday 6 April this popular family biking event is happening again in Queen Elizabeth Park, Paekakariki entrance. It comes with an exciting addition – the Kids Only Mountain Bike Races, organised by the Paekakariki Primary School Pedallers.
Jan Nisbet, co-ordinator of the weekly primary pedallers rides, says . This is a children’s’ only Mountain bike race with the family ride later in the day.
The emphasis is on a fun course, with some hills followed by sweeping downhill, creek crossings and single track. Seven year old Kahu Warena who has ridden with the group for the past two years is really excited about having a specific kids only. Big people have so many races for them. I am excited about this race as Q E Park is a cool place to ride.
There are a range of distances for different age groups, (age is on day of the event.)
- Ages 6 & 7: Ride a short course of 3km approx.
- 8 & 9 years : 5 km approx (1 circuit of the full course)
- 10 &11: years: 10 km approx 2 circuits and 12 – 14 year olds do 3 circuits.
Once the races are completed there is a family ride on the flatter parts of the Park including a visit to the newly opened Jubilee Bird Hide or children can take their parents around the race course.
- A map of course is available at: facebook/avantipluskapiticoast or www.gw.govt.nz/events.
- Races start 11am but you need to be at the Park by 10 am to collect your race race number, check the course and warm up.
- Bookings are required (places are limited).
- To make sure the races are available to as many as possible the entry fee is only $5.
- On day entries, only if space available.
To enter call Mat 04 830 4041 or email email@example.com
This is a joint project with the Pedallers, Greater Wellington Regional Council and Avanti plus Kapiti Coast.