Murder Accused in Court

Judge Remands Two Young Men In Custody Over

Death of RNZ Journmalist

Two men charged with the murder of Radio New Zealand journalist Phillip Cottrell were remanded in custody when they appeared in the Wellington District Court today.

Nicho Waipuka, 19, unemployed of Korokoro, and a 17-year-old man, who has been granted interim name suppression, were charged with the death after Cottrell died in hospital a day after he was attacked in Boulcott St.

He had been walking home from work about 5.30am on Saturday.

The 17-year-old man whose name is now suppressed is due back in court at the end of the week.  An assault charge which had previously been laid has now been withdrawn and the charge of murder substituted.

Wellington District Court judge Carrie Wainwright remanded them and refused applications to take photographs of the two men in court — and suppressed any images already available.

Waipuka’s lawyer Rob Stevens said identity was an issue in both cases.

The 17-year-old’s lawyer Mike Antunovic asked for the suppression to allow family to be told.

Family of the teenager called out that they loved him and to be safe as he was led from the court.

Detective Senior Sergeant Scott Miller says:”These arrests follow an extensive amount of inquiries carried out by the investigation team over the past few days, however there is still a large number of inquiries to be made and we continue to need help from the public,” he said.

He says police were relying on information from the public – not just from Boulcott St, but anyone who may have spoken to the alleged offenders.

What is the legal issue if accused people self publish photos on social networks in cases like these?