— Youths arrested; knife confiscatedBy Alan Tristram
Only a week after the peace vigil following two Kāpiti killings, police have been called out in force to deal with more out-of-control young people at three different locations.
Officer in charge of Kāpiti Police, Senior Sergeant Alasdair Macmillan, says the Kāpiti Police are disappointed by the actions of some youths at three out-of-control parties over the weekend.
The spate of serious youth problems on the Kāpiti Coast began on August 12 when Izaak Millanta (17) was savagely beaten up in a Coastlands car park after a fight at Kāpiti Lights . He later died from his injuries.
Five weeks later in the early hours of Saturday morning, again after a fight at Kāpiti Lights, Shaun Strongman-Lintern (20) was killed. After these two tragedies, Cr K Gurunathan organised a Friday evening peace vigil at Kapiti Lights on September 21 — and Police promised a major crackdown on youth disorder in Kāpiti, with stepped-up patrolling.
First call to Raumati South
He says around 10:15pm on Friday night, Police were called to a Raumati South address where a group of uninvited guests, aged between 16 and 20 years, had turned up.
Senior Sergeant Macmillan says on Saturday night around 11:45pm, Police were called to Wairere Grove, Paraparaumu, after receiving reports of up to 30 youths fighting on the street.
“An unidentified person threw a bottle, which narrowly missed a Police officer, but hit a patrol vehicle, causing minor damage. Three males, two aged 18 and one 19 years were arrested for disorderly behaviour likely to cause violence.”
After the arrest of the 19-year-old male, Police found a small knife. This male also faces a charge of possession of an offensive weapon.
It appears the party had been widely publicised on Facebook.
About 45 minutes later, Police were called to an Otaihanga address after receiving reports of fighting. Upon arrival, Police found a number of drunken youths, some as young as 14 years, who were returned home to their parents.
Senior Sergeant Macmillan says: “After the recent incidents in Kapiti, we are disappointed with what has occurred over the weekend. We will continue to take a zero tolerance approach to alcohol and violence on the coast.
“We remain committed to reducing the harm caused by alcohol, especially to young people.”