Waikanae staff still suffering from Hekia’s pay mess-ups
By Peter Corlett
Novapay`s incorrect payments
Waikanae school staff are being driven to distraction by Government mess-ups and Novapay`s incorrect payments, despite Education Minister, Hekia Parata’s reassurances that those problems are being resolved.
The Principal of Waikanae School, Bevan Campbell, gave examples of the problems they have encountered.
Here are a few facts relating to the last two payroll periods that they acquired from Pueblo payroll services which they’d hired.
Total overpaid to staff and removed from the school’s bank account = $3357
Total amount of under payments or omission of payments = $10,520
Total staff with incorrect payments = 15
The errors hit support staff and teachers. A few examples include…
- A person who has not been employed at Waikanae School during 2012 receiving $600 holiday pay. Their entitlement was $0.
- A person receiving incorrectly calculated back pay of $2220. Their entitlement was $0.
- At one stage two people were due to receive $4100 each in holiday pay. – Their entitlement was between $30-$50.
- We managed to head off this massive error BUT there are another 8 people waiting in the wings who will probably be treated the same way in the next pay period.
- A teacher did not receive their termination pay of $9300.
- 2 Support Staff being under- paid by up to $800.
- 8 Support Staff not paid their holiday pay of between $20 and $50 each
Mr Corlett says it is a problem of immense proportions and puts their school and many, many others at severe financial risk. All of the overpaid wages have come out of our bank account. Goodness only knows if the system is robust enough to track the money and get it back.
The Novopay roll out is an example of disgraceful incompetence and is costing the school heaps of $$$$$, time and energy. This system should function invisibly and accurately every day, all day!”
NZEI Kapiti Branch president Peter Corlett said, “The impact on staff can be significant. Given that being a teacher aide is often part-time work that is not highly paid, these workers are financially vulnerable and depend on the money to pay mortgages and feed their children. However, if they are a part of Kiwisaver and have been overpaid, the money is deducted at a higher rate and cannot be recovered in the short term, leaving the workers with a shortfall of income. The same issue possibly applies to tax deductions.”
Another factor contributing to staff frustration is that individual staff members are not allowed to ring Novapay directly, even if it is about their own pay. Only officially designated people at the school (the principal or an office staff member) are allowed to do it, leaving some staff concerned that they cannot contact Novapay over the Christmas break when administrative staff are away on holiday.