Disorder Arrests in Crackdown

Kāpiti’s Police Chief appeals urgently for more public help to curb violent incidents

By Alan Tristram

Kāpiti Police head Senior Sergeant Alasdair Macmillan says some people have apparently failed to alert police about other incidents at Kāpiti Lights on the night Izak Millanta (17) was fatally assaulted.

He says this was despite them having knowledge of the incidents or being a witness to them.

Following the death of Mr Millanta last weekend, a 25-year-old unemployed Titahi Bay man appeared in Porirua District Court last week charged with assault and was remanded to appear on September 4. He was granted interim name suppression and was also charged with assaulting Millanta’s brother.

This weekend it was announced Kapiti Police investigating the death of Mr Millanta have made a number of unrelated arrests in connection to other alleged assaults which occurred on night of August 10.

Four males aged between 19 and 26 years have been arrested and dealt with on charges of assault, fighting in a public place and injuring with intent to injure. One of these is to appear in the Porirua District Court on Tuesday. The remaining three were dealt with by pre-charge warning.

Meanwhile, Kāpiti police chief Alasdair Macmillan has stated that any offending in the Kāpiti community is unacceptable and will only be curbed through a joint approach by everyone:

“Our focus is on prevention and I urge anyone to report incidents or potential incidents to Police and we will deal with them on a case by case basis.” says Mr Macmillan.

Izak Millanta was found by Police in an unconscious state at the back of KFC in the Coastlands carpark around 3am on Saturday 11 August. He died in Wellington Hospital the following day.

Officer in charge of the investigation Detective Inspector Mike Johnson says as a result of enquiries into Izak’s death, Police became aware of other alleged assaults and fights that took place in the carpark area of the Kapiti Lights complex and surrounding area on Friday night (August 10) and into Saturday morning.

Mr Johnson says the investigation into Izak Millanta’s death is ongoing and a large team is continuing to make enquiries.