‘We exist to inspire understanding of the world through quality photojournalism.’ World Press Photo Foundation
Selecting from the best
Imagine having to select about 100 photos for an exhibition from over 100,000 entries! This is the task of an international panel of judges based in Amsterdam.
World Press Photo is a non-profit making organisation which was founded in 1955 in The Netherlands. The Dutch Postcode Lottery assists with funding and Canon provides sponsorship.
World Press Photo is committed to supporting and advancing high standards in photojournalism and documentary photography worldwide.
The 2013 exhibition
The top hundred or so photos this year are selected from
- 103, 481 entries
- by 5666 photographers
- from 124 countries.
- On the ground floor of the Telecom Central Building, 42 Willis Street, Wellington: conveniently located beside a Mojo Cafe
- until August 25
- $5 entry.
Showing the full range of human experience
The selected photos cover a variety of subjects from many countries. There are a number of graphic images in the display, especially from the ongoing, brutal civil war in Syria, but these are only about 15% of the total exhibition.
Many images may appear too intrusive, however, expect for some portraits, they are not staged. For the viewer the exhibition is an education into how people around the world exist, sometimes against the odds. The emotions revealed range from anguish and despair to joy and exhilaration.
There are nine categories
- Contemporary Issues: such as In the Shadow of Wounded Knee
- Sports Action: such as Joy at the End of the Run
- Spot news: such as Gaza Burial
- Daily Life: such as Football in Guinea-Bissau
- General News: such as Syria under Siege
- Observed Portraits: such as Bullfighter’s Comeback
- Nature: such as Caribbean Trumpetfish
- Staged Portraits: such as Missing My Parents so Much
- Sports Feature: such as Sumo Wrestlers
The 2013 World Press Photo Exhibition is well worth a look with pictures which will enchant, amaze, intrigue and horrify. You will definitely not be bored!