Big basketball tournament in the Hutt
By Angelo Robinson
Hoop Club Kapiti recently took part in one of Wellington’s biggest junior basketball tournaments.
Hoop Club Hutt Valley organised and hosted this year’s junior basketball tournament on Saturday 11. November.
This all-day event proved so popular with 53 teams participating that the organisers had to book a second venue.
A great day for everyone
And what a great day for our juniors it was! We were able to send three teams:
- our youngsters (8’s & under with Coach Mark Ireland – Spicer) played their games at St. Patricks College in Silverstream,
- our 10’s & under (Coach Ben Maligieri) as well as 14’s & under (Coach Jake Henehan) scored their hoops at Walter Nash stadium in Taita.
You could tell there was real excitement in the air, as some parents not only supported their kids during the games, but eagerly used their phones to keep track of our teams playing at the other venue.
Kapiti players lived up to the challenge
Players, parents and coaches alike were very pleased with how we represented Kapiti at the tournament.
It was amazing to see how the juniors applied their basketball skills in the context of a “real tournament”.
Players and teams lived up to the challenge particularly in some very tight games, with the deciding points scored in the final seconds.
What a thrill to see our juniors growing in confidence and as a team.
Hoop Club founders get together
Last but not least, the tournament was also a chance for the three Hoop Club New Zealand founders and coaches to catch up.
- Angelo Robinson (Hoop Club Kapiti)
- Kenny McFadden (Hoop Club Wellington)
- Terry Stallworth (Hoop Club Hutt Valley).
We would like to thank the organisers for a great event and are really looking forward to seeing you a