From the New Zealand Police
19th November 2009
The examination of a house fire at Foxton yesterday that claimed two lives has been completed.
Following that examination, police are now satisfied that the fire is not
The fire appears to have started in the kitchen dining area and at this stage the most likely cause is
unattended cooking on the stove-top.
The fire occurred around 2.15am at a house in Hulke Street and the bodies of
a 22 year old woman and a 3 year old child were discovered inside the house.
A second woman in her 20s, was rescued from the house by neighbours.
Fire crews from Foxton,Himitangi, Palmerston North and Shannon attended the fire.
The fire was eventually extinguished by 3-30am.
Fire Victims Named
Atarina Emma Robinson, 22, from Waiouru and 3-year-old Lesharn Kiri-Leigh Taitoko died in the blaze, said Police.
Lesharn lived at the Hulke Street house with her mother who was pulled to safety by neighbours.
Atarina Robinson was visiting and was staying overnight at the house.
Foxton Chief Fire Officer Gary Stratford said, ”We’re unsure if smokes alarms were in the house so we’ll be following that up.”
This afternoon approximately 50 family and friends converged on Hulke Street to pay their respects and say a karakia before
the bodies of those who died were removed to Palmerston North Hospital.