The Kapiti and Coast Independent stands by its stories on the massive cuts to the Libraries books and material budget.
Your letter makes various demands we cannot, and will not, accede to.
We emphasise that this is not Communist China, where politicians have the power to clamp down on the press.
We are happy to print a full article (500 words max) by yourself defending your position as a member of the Council which made the cuts; and look forward to receiving this.
We ask you to provide evidence that:
- You opposed these cuts when they went through the Annual Plan process.
- Alerted the public to the fact that such swingeing cuts were about to be made.
- Invited members of the public, and Friends of the Libraries, to make submissions on these vital matters.
- Made any attempt to move a motion cancelling the cuts.
- Tried to enlist the support of other councillors, and the Mayor, to oppose the cuts.
- You oppose in principle the idea that the reading public should suffer to provide money for Waikanae Library repairs or replacement.
Alan Tristram, Editor